Gainesville is a city of approximately 34,000 residents, located in northern Georgia’s Hall County near Lula. To reduce prostitution activity in the area, local law enforcement has conducted both web-based and street-level reverse stings, and routinely releases the names of all men and women charged with prostitution-related offenses.
In July 2003, the Gainesville Police Department reported that they had intercepted five individuals “in the area of Martin Luther King Boulevard and Athens Street” during an “undercover prostitution sting.” Arrestees included one pimp, one woman offering prostitution, and three men, all of whom were charged with solicitation of sodomy. It remains unclear whether or not these individuals were soliciting commercial sex.
In January 2008, the Hall County Multi-Agency Narcotics Squad, composed of officers from the GPD and Hall County Sheriff’s Office, conducted an ad hoc web sting at a local motel. According to news reports, “authorities found a Hall County woman’s computer ad and were able to persuade her to cooperate with their investigation. The men seeking her services, responded via e-mail, then spoke with her by phone before going to a motel room at a pre-arranged time.” The undercover investigation, which spanned at least two weeks, resulted in the arrest of 8 johns.
- Gainesville Police Department
- Hall County Sheriff’s Office
- Hall County Multi-Agency Narcotics Squad (MANS)
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Five Arrested in Undercover Prostitution Operation”, WDUN-AM 550, July 14 2003.
- “Three Arrested in Undercover Prostitution Sting”, WDUN-AM 550, July 23 2010.
- “Prostitution Sting Leads to More Arrests”, WDUN-AM 550, July 29 2010.
- “More Arrests in Undercover Prostitution Sting”, WDUN-AM 550, September 10 2010.
- Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- “Seven Men Now Busted in Prostitution Sting”, WDUN-AM 550, January 5 2008.
- “Eighth Arrest Made in Prostitution Investigation”, WDUN-AM 550, January 8 2008.
- “Internet Prostitution Sting Nabs 7; Police Use Woman to Lure Johns to a Gainesville Motel”, Gainesville Times, January 16 2008.
- “Human Trafficking Charge against Third Defendant Dismissed by Judge; Five Men Were Arrested Earlier This Month from Undercover Prostitution Sting,” Gainesville Times, October 30 2015.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Gainesville Man Freed After Getting Life Sentence on Sodomy Charge”, WDUN-AM 550, May 6 2004.
- “Authorities Arrest Three in Prostitution Ring”, WDUN-AM 550, June 3 2007.
- “Hall Officers Bust Two Women on Prostitution Charges”, WDUN-AM 550, February 21 2008.
- “11th Person Arrested in Prostitution Crackdown”, WDUN-AM 550, March 14 2008.
- “Two More Prostitution Arrests”, WDUN-AM 550, April 9 2008.
- “Prostitution Sting Continues”, WDUN-AM 550, April 17 2008.
- “Prostitution Arrest Makes 17 for the Year”, WDUN-AM 550, June 7 2008.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Three Arrests”, WDUN-AM 550, August 22 2008.
- “3 Arrested in Connection with Prostitution”, Gainesville Times, August 27 2008.
- “Two Gainesville Men Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, October 31 2011.