Fremont is a suburb of San Francisco with a population of about 210,000. The city and the surrounding areas in Alameda County have known problems with prostitution and sex trafficking. A neighboring police department (Vacaville, CA) surveyed for the National Assessment noted that the Fremont Police Department conducts periodic street-level and web-based reverse stings.
- Fremont Police Department
- National Assessment Survey Responses from Other Police Departments in the Area
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Pandering Charges in Missing Woman Case,” Oakland Tribune, May 5 2006.
- “State Investigating Home for the Disabled,” Oakland Tribune, May 22 2006.
- “Man Held on List of Sex Charges after Fremont Arrest,” Oakland Tribune, March 26 2010.
- “Fremont: Traffic Stop Nets Arrests for Human Trafficking, Teenage Prostitution,” Contra Costa Times, October 22 2014.
- “Fremont: Traffic Stop Nets Arrests for Human Trafficking, Teenage Prostitution,” Oakland Tribune, October 22 2014.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Men Arraigned on Drug Charges,” Oakland Tribune, September 29 2006.
- “Pair Face Drug Charges in Quirky ‘Kidnapping’ Case,” Oakland Tribune, September 29 2006.
- “Fremont Police Seek Attempted Rapist,” Oakland Tribune, November 4 2006.
- “Police Investigate String of Robberies,” Oakland Tribune, November 8 2006.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police Step up Pressure on Massage Parlors,” San Jose Mercury News, November 24 1993.
- “Fremont Prostitution Crackdown; Council’s Emergency Ordinance Puts 45-Day Halt on New Massage Parlors,” San Jose Mercury News, May 18 1994.
- “Tanning Salon Permits Studied; Massage Parlor Owners Branching Out, Police Say,” San Jose Mercury News, October 11 1994.
- “Heat Still on Tanning Salons; Moratorium Extended to Deter Prostitution,” San Jose Mercury News, November 25 1994.
- “Alleged Brothel Freeway-Close; Fremont: Police Say Home in Quiet Area near I-880 Sought Asian Customers,” San Jose Mercury News, June 12 1997.
- “Masseuse Charged with Prostitution,” San Jose Mercury News, April 15 2000.
- “Massage Laws Are under Review, Fremont Council May Make Licensing Harder,” Fremont-Newark Argus, June 4 2002.
- “City Cracks down on Illicit Parlors, Rules Magnify Watch over Fremont Massage Clinics; Some Owners Say They Were Wrongfully Shut Down,” San Jose Mercury News, August 11 2002.
- “Seized Drug, Prostitution Cash May Help Police Work,” Oakland Tribune, October 5 2005.
- “Police Arrest 5 in Prostitution Sting,” Oakland Tribune, January 18 2008.
- “Fremont Police Crack down on Shady Massage Parlors,” Fremont Patch, April 26 2013.
- “Ten People Indicted in Bay Area Prostitution Ring”, San Jose Mercury News, October 24 2014.