|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Framingham is a town of just over 71,000 residents, located in Middlesex County, Massachusetts near Ashland and Natick. Commercial sex activity– occurring online, on town streets, and within adult-oriented businesses– has been reported in the community for decades, and has generated substantial complaints to law enforcement and local officials. Prostitution transactions have also been linked to robberies of sex buyers in the town, and the forced prostitution (sex trafficking) of minors and adults. For example, in February, 2021, a man and a woman were arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court for charges related to trafficking women and operating two illegal brothels in Framingham residences. Charges included Trafficking Persons for Sexual Servitude, Maintaining a House of Prostitution, Deriving Support from Prostitution, Keeping a House of Ill Fame, and Conspiracy.
To combat prostitution, the Framingham Police Department has incorporated tactics that target underlying demand for commercial sex. Since at least 2005, FPD officers have conducted occasional reverse stings along major thoroughfares using female undercover decoys to apprehend sex buyers. Following their arrests, sex buyers often have their names and other identifying information released to the public, in an effort to deter other would-be offenders and to hold active buyers accountable.
- Framingham Police Department
Street-Level Reverse Stings with Identity Disclosure:
- “Police Sting Results in 3 Arrests; Men Nabbed by Female Officer for Prostitution; FRAMINGHAM,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, November 13 2005.
- “Three Men Charged with Prostitution,” Milford Daily News, November 13 2005.
- “FRAMINGHAM: Prostitution Sting Leads to an Arrest; Man Charged after He Allegedly Offers an Undercover Police Officer Money for Sex,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, September 4 2006.
- “Prostitution Sting Leads to Man’s Arrest; Crackdown Comes after Police Say Man Was Caught Soliciting Sex from a Cop,” Norwood Daily News Transcript, September 4 2006.
- “Suspected ‘John’ Is Arrested Again; Cops: Man Tried to Use Booking Slip from His Arrest as an Identification,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, September 6 2006.
- “Police: Six ‘Johns’ Busted in Framingham Sweep,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, October 26 2015.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Man, 35, Arraigned on Rape Charges,” Boston Globe, September 2 2004.
- https://www.wwlp.com/4-arrested-10-victims-found-in-western-mass-human-trafficking-investigation/ (2016)
- https://framinghamsource.com/bail-set-for-2-charged-with-sex-trafficking-running-2-framingham-brotherls/ (2021)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police Target Escort-Service Prostitution in Suburbia,” Boston Globe, October 1 1988.
- “For Most, a Life of Drugs, Desperation,” Boston Globe, July 31 1994.
- “Open Prostitution in the Suburbs,” Boston Globe, July 31 1994.
- “HOOKED IN STING: Craigslist.com Ad Leads to Prostitution-Related Arrests at a Rte. 9 Hotel in Framingham,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, February 28 2006.
- “Officials: Immigrant Prostitutes a Rarity; Advocates Call Framingham Sex Sting Arrest ‘Isolated Case,'” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, March 2 2006.
- “For Some, Dream Becomes Nightmare,” Norwood Daily News Transcript, March 6 2006.
- “Framingham Prostitution Sting Nets Two Arrests,” Boston Herald, July 13 2006.
- “Local Masseuse Arrested, Charged with Prostitution,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, May 8 2007.
- “‘Feminine’ Man Snared in Sex Sting; Self-Described Transsexual Offered His Services for Cash at Local Hotel, Police Say,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, January 14 2008.
- “Framingham Police Arrest Woman on Prostitution Charges,” Framingham TAB, May 28 2009.
- “Police News; Georgia Woman Faces Prostitution Charges,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, February 1 2010.
- “Woman Faces Charges of Prostitution,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, February 12 2011.
- “Framingham Woman Arrested in Prostitution Sting,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, May 26 2011.
- “Two Face Charges of Sex for Sale; Cops Arrest Woman, Man at Rte. 9 Motel,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, June 4 2011.
- “Two Arrested on Prostitution Charges in Framingham,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, June 16 2011.
- “Women Arrested at Framingham Motel on Prostitution Charges,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, September 8 2012.
- “Attleboro Man Charged with Being a Pimp,” Attleboro Sun Chronicle, September 4 2013.
- “Police Make Prostitution Arrest at Framingham Motel,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, September 4 2013.
- “FRAMINGHAM; Police: Massage Parlor Staffed by Prostitutes,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, November 20 2013.
- “Profit-Driven, Gangs Move off the Local Street Corners,” Boston Globe, March 15 2014.
- “Framingham: Police to Crack down on Sex Trade,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, July 22 2015.
- “Police Target Backpage,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, September 5 2015.
- https://www.wgbh.org/local-news/men-who-fuel-erotic-massage-industry (2018)
- https://www.pri.org/across-us-many-illicit-massage-parlors-avoid-police-detection (2018)
- https://www.nbcboston.com/hidden-in-plain-sight-massage-parlors-selling-sex-rubmaps-massachusetts (2019)
- https://framinghamsource.com/marlborough-woman-charged-with-prostitution-in-framingham/ (2020)
- https://patch.com/massachusetts/framingham/framingham-men-arrested-sex-trafficking-brothels (2020)
- https://www.mass.gov/news/two-indicted-on-sex-trafficking-charges-for-running-brothels-out-of-framingham-residences (2021)
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police: Woman Tried to Rob John; Both Are Arrested after They Fought for Wallet,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, July 26 2011.
- “Prostitute, Two Men Charged in Motel Robbery,” Framingham MetroWest Daily News, October 18 2011.
- “Quincy Pair Face Robbery Charges; Police: They Advertised Prostitution Services Then Took Client’s Cash,” Quincy Patriot Ledger, October 18 2011.