|IT Based Tactics||✓|
In November and December of 2015, a web-based reverse sting in Fairview netted 13 arrests and the seizure of illegal drugs. Fairview police officers said that this was the first such operation in their city’s history. An investigation about prostitution at a local motel was launched in response to local complaints. A confidential informant worked with police, posing as a prostituted woman advertising on Backpage.com. Men who made arrangements and then appeared at the motel to exchange money for sex were arrested. One of the arrested sex buyers was on probation for the rape of a child, and was wearing an ankle electronic monitor device.
Loss of employment is another consequence of buying sex that has occurred in the city. In February, 2016, the Fairview Police Department faced scrutiny when one of its officers was arrested in Nashville on a prostitution solicitation charge on what was his first day on the job. The officer resigned from the police force later that same day. Officials with the Metro Nashville Police Department said the incident involving the officer happened at a hotel on Wallace Road. Police were in the process of charging a woman in a prostitution investigation when she received a message from an ad she posted online. The message was from the Fairview officer, who showed up at the hotel allegedly intending to buy sex for $120. Both the woman and the officer were cited with misdemeanors with booking dates of March 1.
- Fairview Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Sting, Shaming:
- https://williamsonsource.com/90490-2/ (2015)
- https://www.wkrn.com/news/undercover-prostitution-operation-nets-13-arrests-in-fairview (2015)
Sex Buyer Shaming, Loss of Employment:
- https://www.tennessean.com/fairview-officer-cited-prostitution-hours-after-hired (2016)
- https://www.wkrn.com/news/fairview-city-investigates-recent-situation-with-police-department (2016)
- https://www.tennessean.com/fairview-officers-fired-wake-investigation (2016)
- https://www.newschannel5.com/news/local-news/fairview-officer-resigns-after-prostitution-citation (2016)
Comments are closed.