In November 2014, the Etowah County Sheriff’s Office collaborated with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Gadsden Police Department to conduct a web-based reverse sting. The team spent about eight hours at a Gadsden hotel during the sting, and sex sex buyers were arrested and were charged with soliciting prostitution, a misdemeanor. It was one of a series of operations undertaken within the county that year against prostitution, using online and undercover operations. In September 2014, Oxford police conducted a similar investigation, resulting in 14 arrests, and Gadsden police provided assistance. In August 2015, Gadsden police arrested at least 10 men, all of whom were booked into the Etowah County Detention Center on charges of soliciting prostitution, a misdemeanor, on $1,000 bond.
- Etowah County Sheriff’s Office
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Gadsden Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 13 Arrests in Gadsden”, Gadsden Times, December 3 2010.
- “11 Charged with Soliciting Prostitutes”, Gadsden Times, May 7 2013.
- “Gadsden Police Arrest 13 in ‘Operation Stroll’ Prostitution Sting”, Birmingham News, May 7 2013.
- “10 Arrested for Soliciting Prostitution”, Gadsden Times, August 18 2014.
- “10 Arrested in Gadsden during Weekend Prostitution Sting”, Birmingham News, August 19 2014.
- Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Gadsden Police Chief Demands to Be Heard”, Gadsden Times Daily, April 5 1957.
- “Deputies Raid Alleged House of Prostitution”, Gadsden Times, January 19 1964.
- “Prostitution Charge Filed against Man”, Gadsden Times, July 28 1990.
- “Undercover Operation Results in Three Arrests on Prostitution Charge”, Gadsden Times, October 14 2000.
- “Cracking Down on Prostitution”, Gadsden Times, March 6 2004.
- “Gadsden Police Break up Internet Prostitution Ring”, Gadsden Times, July 2 2013.
- “Man Reports Theft by Prostitute”, Gadsden Times, August 4 2014.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area: