El Monte is a city with a population of around 100,000, located in Los Angeles County in southern California. El Monte police have been conducting reverse stings since 2006. The El Monte Police Department Special Investigations Team is specifically assigned to deal with prostitution arrests and investigations. Reverse stings and auto seizures are the primary methods of combating demand in El Monte. Auto seizures were first employed for sex buyers in 2002. Arrestees are required to pay $120 to retrieve their vehicles and a $400 “investigations fee.” The reverse stings are conducted monthly, on average, by the Special Investigations Team.
- Reverse Stings:
- “Sting Targets Men Who Pay for Sex”, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, June 5 2003.
- “Sex-for-Pay Just Got Pricey”, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, June 12 2003.
- “19 Year Old Killed in Parking Lot of Bar”, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, June 27 2003.
- “Officer Held in Prostitution Sting”, Los Angeles Times, August 10 2003.
- “Police Arrest Men During El Monte Prostitution Sting”, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, May 19 2007.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area: