|IT Based Tactics||✓|
East Cleveland is a city of approximately 14,000 residents, located in the Cleveland suburbs in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Prostitution, as well as prostitution-related violence, have been reported in the area for decades. For example, in 2014, law enforcement reported they received “approximately five to six calls per day” from residents about street prostitution occurring in the area. There have also been murders of prostituted women in East Cleveland.
In an effort to address the issue, the East Cleveland Police Department has conducted at least one reverse sting. In August 2014, the ECPD sent three female officers undercover as decoy prostituted women. The officers then “strolled” along city streets known for prostitution. Over the span of three hours, three sex buyers were arrested after they solicited the decoys. The arrestees’ names were not released to the public. The operation was conducted in parallel with a sting targeting prostituted women.
- East Cleveland Police Department
Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Prostitution Problem: Police Set up Sting to Take Back Streets”, FOX/WJW-TV 8, August 21 2014.
- “Undercover Prostitution Sting in East Cleveland Nets Three Arrests”, ABC/WEWS-TV 5, August 21 2014.
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “17 Slayings in Six Years– And No Answers”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, April 24 1994.
- “Police Believe East Cleveland Murder Victim Was Prostitute”, CBS/WOIO-TV 19, October 8 2007.
- “Neighborhood Woes Laid at Motel’s Door; Business Faulted for Drugs, Prostitution”, Cleveland Plain-Dealer, October 9 2007.
- “Activists Suspect Serial Killer in Prostitute’s Death”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, October 17 2007.
- “Woman Found Dead in East Cleveland Was Strangled”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, June 10 2008.
- “East Cleveland: Did Suspected Serial Killer Also Strike in 1989?”, NBC/WKYC-TV 3, November 7 2009.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area: