DuPage County has approximately 925,000 residents and is located 40 miles west of Chicago, Illinois. Among the serious problems associated with prostitution and sex trafficking in the county have been murders and serial homicides specifically targeting prostituted women and girls in the county. Although the majority of the county’s law enforcement efforts have targeted prostituted women over the johns, the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office has conducted at least one reverse sting. In September 2010, the DCSO police received information suggesting a Willowbrook home was being used for prostitution. Officers, supported by members of the Willowbrook and Woodridge Police Departments, contacted the prostituted woman and scheduled an “appointment”. After arresting the woman in her home, police learned that she had appointments scheduled with three other men for later in the day. Officers then conducted a reverse sting operation, resulting in the arrest of the three sex buyers. Each of the arrestees had his name, address, and age released to the local media.
- Reverse Stings:
- Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “DuPage Sheriff’s Office Arrest 28 in Prostitution Sting”, Daily Herald, December 21 1996.
- “Prostitution Sting Nabs 23 Women”, Chicago Tribune, December 13 2003.
- “Villa Park Couple Accused of Operating Prostitution Ring”, Chicago Tribune, November 8 2011.
- “Woman, 55, Arrested in Warrenville Prostitution Sting”, CBS/WBBM-TV 2, March 16 2012.
- Prostitution-related homicides: