|IT Based Tactics||✓|
DeKalb is a city of about 43,000 residents in northern Illinois, located in DeKalb County roughly 60 miles west of Chicago. Prostitution has been documented in the city, resulting in complaints to law enforcement. For example, in 2011 an attorney was charged with prostitution after allegations she had sex in exchange for supplies for her law office.
Though no proactive stings targeting demand have been documented locally, at least one sex buyer arrest has occurred in the city. In November 2018, a man was arrested in DeKalb after complaining to the police that a prostituted woman had “ripped him off.” According to police records, the man paid the woman $40 through PayPal for sex. She never showed up so he wanted his bank to refund the money. When they refused, he called the police. According to court records, the sex buyer showed officers the exchange of messages with the woman, indicating he wanted back his $40, which he’d paid her for gas, and that she never came for the other $50. The woman eventually agreed to refund his money, but the buyer was still trying to convince her to come over for sex. The suspect told police he didn’t believe he should get arrested because he never had sex with the woman. The man was arrested and charged with solicitation of a sexual act. His identity was released to the press.
- DeKalb Police Department
Sex Buyer Arrest, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.shawlocal.com/man-charged-after-reporting-woman-didnt-make-good-on-sex-offer (2018)
- https://967theeagle.net/dekalb-man-arrested-after-reporting-a-prostitute-to-police (2018)
Background on Local Prostitution:
- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/Attorney-charged-prostitution-performing-50-sex-act (2011)
- https://www.financialexpress.com/archive/indian-origin-woman-in-prostitution-ring (2011)
- https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/in-plea-attorney-admits-being-a-prostitute (2012)
- https://www.chicagotribune.com/met-lawyer-prostitution (2013)
- https://www.shawlocal.com/man-charged-with-alleged-prostitution-patronizing-with-minor (2020)
Comments are closed.