Cypress is a city of approximately 48,000 residents, located in Orange County, California – near Anaheim, Garden Grove, Long Beach, Stanton, and Buena Park. Like its neighboring cities, Cypress has reported problems with street prostitution. To address the issue, the Cypress Police Department has conducted undercover prostitution operations, including at least three street-level reverse stings. One operation, conducted in conjunction with a larger narcotics investigation in the fall of 1992, placed female CPD officers undercover as decoys along Lincoln Avenue. As men attempted to solicit sex from the officers, they were apprehended. Twelve johns were arrested as a result.
- Reverse Stings:
- “Cypress: 15 Suspects Arrested in Narcotics Sweep”, Los Angeles Times, December 4 1992.
- “Cypress: Prostitution Sting Nets 8 Arrests”, Orange County Register, September 14 1995.
- “Police Sting ‘Johns’ in Prostitution Crackdown”, Orange County Register, September 14 1995.
- “10 Arrested in Cypress Prostitution Stings”, Orange County Register, September 17 2001.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area: