|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Clayton County, located south of Atlanta, has a population of about 297,000. Problems with prostitution and sex trafficking have been reported in the county for at least two decades. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking. For example, in March, 2023, the state Attorney General announced that a Clayton County man was sentenced to 70 years in prison for trafficking a 15-year-old female for sexual abuse. The defendant was also required to register as a sex offender. On March 3, 2023, the man was found guilty by a Clayton County Jury on four counts of Trafficking of Persons for Sexual Servitude and one count of Cruelty to Children in the First Degree. The victim was present in court at sentencing and provided a victim impact statement.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. In addition to city-level efforts to combat prostitution in the communities of Jonesboro and Forest Park, the Clayton County Police Department also conducts periodic reverse stings along major boulevards and highways in the county. They have done so since at least 2006 and, at times, collaborate with officers from the Clayton County Sheriff’s Office. In one such reverse sting in 2009, 18 men were arrested. A second sting in 2012 netted 20 sex buyers for solicitation, including a Clayton County Deputy.
In 2015, a reported “multi-phase and multi-level operation” staged in multiple locations within the county intercepted 12 men on “pandering and solicitation of sex for money” charges. Ten women were also arrested during the investigation for offering acts of prostitution. Only the identity of one arrestees– a law enforcement official from nearby Fulton County— was disclosed to the public. Additional details about the stings, including whether or not they utilized web-based advertisements and/or street-level decoys, were also kept out of the media.
In June 2016, an undercover operation in Clayton County led to the arrest of 22 people on varying charges as multiple agencies teamed up to combat prostitution. The police department, sheriff’s office, and U.S. Department of Homeland Security worked together in the operation, which targeted crimes such as prostitution, pandering, and solicitation in various areas of Clayton County.
In June, 2022, a man was arrested later indicted for attempting to buy the child for sexual abuse in Clayton County. In February, 2023, he pled guilty and was sentenced to 15 years, with the first five years to be served in prison. The remaining 10 years will be served on probation. He is also required to register as a sex offender. The man’s crimes were discovered during an investigation of the sex trafficking of child out of two hotel rooms in Clayton County. The other offenders were convicted of trafficking persons for sexual servitude, and statutory rape.
In March, 2023, a sex buyer called police to complain that he had paid a woman for sex, but that she “disappeared” before they that occurred. Clayton County police responded to the 6300 block of Old Dixie Road, in Jonesboro, after the man called them. During the responding officer’s investigation, the woman in question admitted to taking the $40 on the promise to engage in sex acts, and then reneging. Officers were able to review surveillance video and find the prostituted woman, and corroborate the man’s allegation of prostitution, and his participation as a buyer. The man’s identity was disclosed in news reports.
- Clayton County Police Department
- Clayton County Sheriff’s Office
- Clayton County Human Trafficking Prosecution Unit
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Clayton County Deputy Nabbed in Prostitution Sting”, WDUN-FM 102.9, June 12 2006.
- “Man Killed by Clayton Police Had Pot, Crack: Suspect Shot in Prostitution Sting”, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, March 31 2007.
- “Posing as Prostitutes, Police Sting Would-Be ‘Johns'”, Clayton News Daily, November 21 2007.
- “3 Officers Face Grand Jury, Possible Murder Indictment”, Clayton News Daily, May 14 2008.
- “12 Nabbed in Clayton Sex Sting”, WSB-AM 750, February 23 2009.
- “Twelve Snared in Prostitution Sting”, Clayton News Daily, February 24 2009.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Pandering Arrests”, Clayton News Daily, August 29 2009.
- “20 Arrested in Clayton Prostitution Sting”, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, November 23 2009.
- “Operation Scrooge Leads to 32 Arrests”, ABC/WSB-TV 2, December 19 2010.
- “Police Arrest 32 in Crime Crackdown”, Clayton News Daily, December 21 2010.
- “20 Arrested in Clayton Prostitution Sting”, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, June 16 2012.
- “Clayton County Officials Arrest 10 in Prostitution Sting”, CBS/WGCL-TV 46, April 19 2013.
- “Cyclist among Suspects in Sting Operation”, Clayton News Daily, April 19 2013.
- “Fulton Co. Law Veteran Arrested in Clayton Co. Sting,” NBC/WXIA-TV 11, June 20 2015.
- “Fulton County Sheriff’s Captain Arrested in Sex Sting,” CBS/WGCL-TV 46, June 20 2015.
- “Fulton Sheriff’s Captain Arrested in Sex Sting Bonds out of Jail,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, June 20 2015.
- http://www.11alive.com/22-arrested-in-clayton-county-prostitution-sting (2016)
Sex Buyer Arrest, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.news-daily.com/clayton-county-man-sentenced-to-prison-for-soliciting-sex-from-15-year-old (2023)
- https://www.wsbtv.com/2-arrested-after-man-gives-woman-40-sex-acts-then-disappeared (2023)
- https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/upset-prostitute-took-money-called-police (2023)
- https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/upset-prostitute-took-money-called (2023)
- https://www.fox5atlanta.com/police-man-upset-prostitute-took-money-called-911 (2023)
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Local Pair Face Federal Human Trafficking Charges”, Clayton News Daily, May 20 2011.
- “Conley Sex Offender Sentenced to 20 Years”, Clayton News Daily, April 18 2012.
- “Sex Trafficker Convicted; Former Ellenwood Resident to Be Sentenced in September”, Clayton News Daily, July 19 2012.
- “Man Gets Life in Prison for Sex Trafficking”, Clayton News Daily, September 19 2012.
- “Clayton Teen at Center of Sex Trafficking Case; Buckhead Man Convicted of Sex Trafficking”, Clayton News Daily, June 10 2014.
- “Six Caught in FBI Child Sex Sting”, Clayton News Daily, June 24 2014.
- “Man Sentenced as Pimp in Clayton County’s First Human Trafficking Conviction”, Clayton News Daily, August 26 2014.
- “4 Accused of Running Prostitution Ring at Clayton County Hotels,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, January 12 2016.
- https://gbi.georgia.gov/10-arrested-clayton-county-child-exploitation-charges (2020)
- https://gbi.georgia.gov/clayton-county-man-arrested-aggravated-child-molestation-and-sexual (2021)
- https://claytoncrescent.org/4-charged-in-clayton-county-child-exploitation-sting (2021)
- https://valdostatoday.com/georgia-man-sentenced-to-70-years-for-trafficking-15-year-old-female/ (2023)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Proposed Massage Parlor Ordinance to Be Revised”, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, January 28 1993.
- “Police Shut down All Clayton County Massage Parlors”, ABC/WSB-TV 2, December 8 2006.
- “13 Massage Parlor Shut in Clayton”, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, December 9 2006.
- “Judge Tosses Out Massage Parlor Arrests”, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, December 12 2006.
- https://www.11alive.com/19-busted-in-clayton-county-prostitution-sting (2017)
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area: