Cedar City is a town of 29,000 in southwest Utah. Prostitution and sex trafficking in the city are well documented. For example, a Cedar City woman was arrested in November 2013 on charges of rape after allegedly prostituting her 13-year-old daughter to pay her utilities, according to court documents. The woman actively recruited at least two men to have sex with her daughter; in exchange for assisting with paying utilities at the woman’s apartment, she allowed the men to share a bedroom with the girl. The woman also provided condoms and encouraged sexual activity with the child.
In 2010, a web-based reverse sting was conducted to combat consumer-level demand for commercial sex. The joint undercover operation with officers and agents from nearby communities resulted in the arrest of eight johns, including an administrator at Southern Utah University. An assistant city attorney said those guilty of the charge typically face a $623 fine and bench probation, and are required to take an HIV test and stay out of trouble. The identities of the arrestees were publicly disclosed.
- Cedar City Police Department
- Iron/Garfield Counties Narcotics Task Force
- Beaver/Iron County Major Crimes Task Force
- Iron County Sheriff’s Office
- Utah Adult Probation and Parole
- Salt Lake Tribune, December 12, 2010. Another educator caught in prostitution sting.
- Iron County Today – Groft enters guilty plea for solicitation