Casselberry is a suburb of Orlando with a population of about 26,000. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of Orlando metro area. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. The Casselberry Police Department has conducted at least one reverse sting using a decoy posing as prostituted women. The fifteen men arrested in the 1997 operation could face up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine. If they were using a vehicle, they may also have their licenses revoked for up to one year. Some arrested sex buyers have also been charged with drug possession, gun possession, and other crimes.
The Florida State Legislature passed a bill that was signed into law in June, 2019, that creates a registry of convicted sex buyers and provides a publicly-accessible listing of their identities. The registry data includes the names, addresses and photos of people found guilty of soliciting sex from a prostituted person. The database is part of a broader piece of legislation aimed at combating human trafficking by lowering demand for commercial sex. If fully implemented, all communities in Florida would be included as using shaming as a tactic applied to arrested sex buyers.
- Casselberry Police Department
Reverse sting, license suspension:
- Orlando Sentinel. 5 Oct 1997. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1997-10-05 prostitution-sting-casselberry-police-solicit-prostitution
- New Florida Law Establishes Publicly-Accessible List of Convicted Sex Buyers (2019)
- https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-ne-florida-sex-offender-registry (2019)
- https://www.npr.org/podcasts/485103472/w-f-s-u-state-news-florida (2019)
Background on local prostitution:
- https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2002/08/05/story6.html (2002)
- https://www.wftv.com/news/local/seminole-deputies-arrest-5-undercover-prostitution (2015)
- https://www.clickorlando.com/backpage-com-ad-led-to-prostitution-bust-seminole-deputies-say (2015)