|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Burnsville is a city of approximately 64,000 residents, located just south of Minneapolis in Dakota County, Minnesota. To reduce prostitution activity in the city, the Burnsville Police Department has conducted web-based and street-level reverse stings since 2007. Reverse stings have been conducted 3-4 times per year, according to BPD representatives interviewed for the National Assessment Survey.
The city has also used surveillance cameras and neighborhood watch programs. A public education and awareness campaign has also been used to support prostituted women who want to exit the sex trade. Sex buyers arrested during anti-prostitution operations may face identity disclosure, vehicle seizure, geographic restrictions (or SOAP orders), and mandatory community service.
- Burnsville Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- “Police Target Prostitution; Officials Say the Illegal Activity Often Goes Hand in Hand with Other Crimes”, St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 30 2008.
- “Burnsville Police Prostitution Sting Nets 5 Men”, Burnsville Patch, August 25 2011.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Teen Charged with Recruiting Girls into Prostitution”, NBC/KARE-TV 11, July 12 2007.
- “South Metro; Burnsville Teen Admits Running Prostitution Ring”, St. Paul Pioneer Press, September 13 2007.
- “Dakota County; Woman, 19, Sentenced for Sex Ring”, St. Paul Pioneer Press, January 9 2008.
- “Burnsville Police Crack Down on Online-Driven Prostitution”, St. Paul Pioneer Press, May 9 2010.
- “Burnsville Man Charged with Prostituting, Assaulting Pregnant Woman”, Burnsville Patch, January 19 2012.
- “Burnsville Man Convicted of Using Minors in Sex Trafficking Ring”, Burnsville Patch, October 26 2012.
- “Burnsville Man Convicted of Pimping Pregnant Woman Now Accused of Soliciting Junior High Girls”, Burnsville Patch, February 11 2013.
- “Regional Briefing”, St. Paul Pioneer Press, February 13 2013.
Background on Prostitution in the Area: