|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Burkburnett is a city in Wichita County, Texas, with a population of approximately 11,000. It is part of the Wichita Falls, Texas metropolitan statistical area. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented throughout Wichita County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies. Among the more serious problems associated with commercial sex in the area include child sex trafficking. For example, in 2014 several suspects in a prostitution and human trafficking investigation were arrested, and charged with compelling prostitution by a juvenile and trafficking of a person. Police reported that a routine traffic stop led to the arrests of two people who were apart of an organized prostitution ring working in Wichita Falls, Vernon and other areas. A DPS Trooper says he searched the vehicle and found maps, hotel book coupons, and other items that led him to believe the two were part of a prostitution ring. DPS and the Department of Homeland Security launched an investigation, and said the two were advertising escort services on a website, and that the female suspect assisted the male to” recruit and train” a juvenile in their prostitution service. In October, 2021, a Burkburnett man was arrested for Solicitation of Prostitution during an undercover Texas Department of Public Safety operation in Wichita Falls. According to allegations provided in an arrest warrant, a special agent with the Texas DPS Criminal Investigations Divisions conducted a one-day operation to target people attempting to solicit prostitutes online. The purpose was to combat human trafficking. “Operation Nooner” was conducted at a hotel in Wichita Falls. The suspect responded to an ad and agreed to pay money in exchange for sexual acts, and was arrested when he appeared at an arranged location to do so.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. Demand reduction tactics used in the city of Burkburnett include web-based reverse stings and the disclosure of sex buyer identities. In October, 2022, a prostitution sting operation was conducted in Burkburnett by the Texas Department of Public Safety. The online sting, titled “Operation Fancy Gambler,” involved undercover officers being offered payment for sex acts, and arranging to meet to complete the transactions. Two suspects were arrested when they arrived at an agreed-upon location in Burkburnett on October 19, 2022. The identities of the arrested sex buyers were publicly disclosed.
- Texas DPS
- Wichita County Sheriff’s Office
- Wichita Falls Police Department
Sex Buyer Arrest, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.texomashomepage.com/rostitution-sting-2-suspects-in-burkburnett-fancy-gambler/ (2022)
- https://www.newsbreak.com/prostitution-sting-nets-2-suspects-in-burkburnett (2022)
Background on Prostitution, Sex Trafficking, CSAM, Related Crimes (e.g., Drugs, Weapons) within the County:
- https://www.texomashomepage.com/man-jailed-in-alleged-sex-trade-ring-in-wichita-falls (2014)
- https://www.texomashomepage.com/woman-jailed-after-prostitution-investigation (2015)
- https://www.justice.gov/wichita-falls-man-sentenced-156-months-federal-prison-charges-involving-promoting (2017)
- https://f.hubspotusercontent10.net/Employee Handbook (2020)
- https://www.newschannel6now.com/two-indicted-trafficking-child-pornography-charges/ (2021)
- https://www.texomashomepage.com/prostitution-sting-2-suspects-in-burkburnett-fancy-gambler/ (2021)
- https://www.texomashomepage.com/another-jailed-in-dps-prostitution-sting/ (2022)
Comments are closed.