Buena Park, CA
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Buena Park is a city of approximately 83,000 residents, located near Anaheim, Santa Ana, Cypress, and Fullerton in northwest Orange County, California. Like its neighbors, the city has reported problems related to street prostitution. To address the issue, the Buena Park Police Department began conducting street-level reverse stings in the early to mid-1990s. In July 2012 and October, 2013, the Buena Park Police Department (BPPD) conducted web-based reverse stings that resulted in arrests of sex buyers. They were later convicted and sentenced for soliciting in plea agreements. One man was sentenced to three years of informal probation, 10 days in jail with the possibility of CalTrans in lieu of jail, and must submit to AIDS testing and education. His name was also disclosed in news reports. The area of Beach Boulevard in Buena Park is known to law enforcement to be a high-prostitution area and is known to frequently be used by individuals who sexually exploit and traffic women and underage girls for financial gain, including pimps, panderers, and human traffickers.
In addition to local investigations, female BPPD officers have worked as decoys in at least two reverse stings in Anaheim. In recent years, city police have also investigated businesses suspected of fronting prostitution. Often, the operations are spurred by complaints from residents. Few details about the arrests and operations are provided in order to protect future investigations.
- Buena Park Police Department
- Anaheim Police Department
- Cypress Police Department
- Orange County District Attorney’s Human Exploitation And Trafficking (HEAT) Unit
Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Briefly; News; Police Arrest 6 for Prostitution in Buena Park”, Orange County Register, July 13 1989.
- “Police Arrest 17 Men During Buena Park Prostitution Sting”, Los Angeles Times, November 10 1996.
- “Police Arrest 22 in Prostitution Sting”, Los Angeles Times, March 2 1997.
- “Buena Park; Prostitution ‘Sting’ Nets 2 Women, 20 Men”, Orange County Register, March 6 1997.
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “Mexican Police Break Up Sex Slavery Ring”, Mount Airy News, May 3 1996.
- “Police: Sex-Slave Ring May Have O.C. Ties; Crime: Mexican Women Were Duped into Prostitution in Japan, Officials Say; Probe Leads to Buena Park”, Orange County Register, May 4 1996.
- “Man, Woman Allegedly Forced Girl, 14, to Be Prostitute in O.C.”, Los Angeles Times, March 31 2013.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Vice Probe Results in the Arrest of 4 Men on Drug Charges”, Los Angeles Times, December 10 1983.
- “Police Get Help to Fight Prostitution; Law Now Allows Officers to Solicit Suspects for Sex”, Orange County Register, January 17 1987.
- “City’s All-Out Battle Cleans Up the Streets; Hookers Are Gone, But Stanton Worries They May Call Again”, Los Angeles Times, April 6 1987.
- “Cleaning Up Beach Blvd. Crime; Residents Sick of Prostitutes, Drug Dealers and Crime along Beach Boulevard in Anaheim, Buena Park and Stanton Are Getting Organized”, Orange County Register, September 29 1994.
- “BUENA PARK: Limits on Motel Stays Sought”, Los Angeles Times, January 11 1996.
- “BUENA PARK: Rules Tightened for Massage Parlor Operators”, Los Angeles Times, April 18 1996.
- “ANAHEIM: Beach Blvd. Prostitution Sweep Nets 38 Arrests”, Los Angeles Times, November 25 1997.
- “Buena Park Day Spa Raided for Prostitution”, ABC/KABC-TV 7, July 3 2010.
- https://www.ocregister.com/2012/07/20/police-seek-help-tackling-prostitution-problem/ (2012)
Comments are closed.