|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Broome County is a county of about 200,000 residents, located in south-central New York state. Binghamton is the county seat and largest city. Prostitution and the sex trafficking of teens have a documented presence the communities and unincorporated areas of Broome County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. In addition to city-level efforts to combat consumer-level demand for prostitution, the Broome County Sheriff’s Office’s Special Investigations Unit Task Force occasionally conducts countywide web-based reverse stings. For example, in July 2013, officers reported they had arrested three individuals (two sex buyers and one prostituted woman) during a “crackdown on internet prostitution” led by the Task Force in late June 2013. The names and hometowns of those arrested were reported to the news following the investigation.
- Broome County Sherriff’s Office
- Special Investigations Unit Task Force
- Johnson City Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Stings with Identity Disclosure:
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “5 Arrested in Broome Prostitution Sting”, Carbonated.TV, March 12 2011.
- “2nd Utica Woman Pleads Guilty to Child Sex-Trafficking”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, March 28 2014.
- “Defendant Pleads Guilty to Federal Offense of Sex Trafficking of a Child” U.S. Attorney’s Office Northern District New York, May 22 2014.
- “Utica Man Admits Sex-Trafficking of Girl across Central New York”, Syracuse Post-Standard, May 22 2014.
- “Trial Delayed for Man Accused of Sex Trafficking,” FOX/WICZ-TV 40, December 7 2015.
- https://wnbf.com/three-charged-in-johnson-city-prostitution-sting/ (2015)
- https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/public-safety/vestal-broome-sex-trafficking (2015)
- “Man Faces 10 Years for Sex Trafficking Teen Girls,” Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin, January 19 2016.
- https://www.pressconnects.com/binghamton-sex-trafficking-prostitution-antonio-ballard-federal-trial (2018)
- https://981thehawk.com/human-trafficking-and-child-prostitution-fbi-rescues-105-children-on-american-soil/ (2018)
- https://www.pressconnects.com/binghamton-sex-trafficking-federal-antonio-ballard-charges/ (2019)
- https://wbng.com/sex-on-the-streets-prostitution-a-growing-problem-in-broome-county/ (2019)
- https://wskg.org/through-education-anti-trafficking-task-force-casts-a-wide-net-in-support-of-survivors (2021)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prostitution Bust in Broome County”, WEBO-AM 1330, January 13 2011.
- “Technology Helps Officials Nab Prostitutes in Recent Arrests”, Time Warner Cable News, March 15 2011.
- https://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/underage-prostitution-ring-broken-up/ (2015)
- https://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/news/police-five-arrested-after-prostitution-investigation-in-vestal (2017)