Brookhaven is a city in the northeastern suburbs of Atlanta and is located in western DeKalb County, Georgia, directly northeast of Atlanta. DeKalb County contains 10% of the city of Atlanta within its boundaries, as well as the communities of Decatur, Dunwoody, Brookhaven, and Stone Mountain. Prostitution and the sex trafficking (of both adults and minors) are well-documented problems in Brookhaven. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. The DeKalb County Police Department has collaborated with local police departments in Brookhaven and other cities to conduct periodic reverse stings. Other operations have involved large multijurisdictional efforts. For example, in an operation in February, 2019, more than 50 people were arrested as part of sex trafficking sting operations conducted by federal, state and local law enforcement — including Brookhaven and Dunwoody Police — in the days around Super Bowl 53 in Altanta. Twenty-one suspects were arrested in Brookhaven and charged with soliciting sex with minors over the internet and other charges as part of Georgia Bureau of Investigation undercover operation held between Jan. 30 and Feb. 3. In a separate operation, 32 people were arrested in Dunwoody between Jan. 28 and Feb. 4 and faced sex charges ranging from prostitution to enticing a child for indecent purposes. In Brookhaven, “Operation Interception,” coordinated by the Georgia Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, the GBI, the Brookhaven Police Department and dozens of other area agencies, netted the 21 arrests as suspects drove into the city to allegedly meet up with minors for sex. Task force members based the undercover operation’s headquarters out of Brookhaven at an unidentified location. Twenty of the people arrested were charged with violating the Computer or Electronic Pornography and Child Exploitation Prevention Act of 2007.
Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- https://www.ajc.com/news/local/torpy-large-super-bowl-trafficking-roundups-here-the-deal (2019)
- https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/national/fbi-169-arrested-human-trafficking-investigation-leading-super-bowl (2019)
- https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2019/02/05/sex-sting-operations-in-brookhaven-dunwoody-net-53-arrests/ (2019)
- https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20190315/police-report-offers-different-version-of-brewster-mans-sex-sting (2019)
Background on Sex Trafficking and Prostitution in the Area:
- “DeKalb Woman, Escort Firm Owner, Guilty of Pimping; Could Get Five Years and $5,000 Fine,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, December 4 1987.
- “Residents Fear Truck Stop Would Fuel Crime; Bouldercrest Area Will Take Case to Commission,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, June 9 1994.
- “Police Nab 14 in Hotel Sweep; Cops Respond to Neighbors’ Complaints,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, June 30 1994.
- “Residents to Motel: Help Us Fight Crime,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, August 27 1994.
- “Fourth Brothel Raided, Police Say,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, September 2 1999.
- “Hundreds of Hidden Prostitutes Found in Metro Atlanta,” Gadsden Times Daily, September 20 1999.
- “DeKalb Urged to Fight Child Prostitution,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, August 17 2003.
- “Pimp who Targeted Runaway Teen Gets 60 Years,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, January 30 2007.
- “City’s Shame Remains Despite Crackdowns, Atlanta Is Still a Hub in Selling Children for Sex,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, May 2 2010.
- “DeKalb Police Say Men Forced Teens into Prostitution,” Georgia Newsday, October 13 2011.
- “Teen Imprisoned and Forced into Prostitution Escapes, Helps Free 2nd Teen,” Atlanta Examiner, October 13 2011.
- https://patch.com/georgia/brookhaven/police-make-arrests-at-suspected-place-of-prostitution (2012)
- “DeKalb County Man Sentenced to 60 Years for Pimping Minors,” CBS/WGCL-TV 46, January 27 2012.
- “2 Indicted in Sex Trafficking of Underage Girls in DeKalb County,” Atlanta Examiner, April 27 2012.
- “2 Arrested for Allegedly Raping, Trafficking Runaways for Sex in DeKalb County,” Atlanta Examiner, February 4 2013.
- “Sex Trafficking Victims Rescued, 2 Arrested,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, February 4 2013.
- “DeKalb Man Convicted for Sex Trafficking Teens,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, March 19 2013.
- “DeKalb; DeKalb Man Convicted for Sex Trafficking Teens,” Atlanta Examiner, March 21 2013.
- “Dunwoody Police Bust Locals for Sex Trafficking,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, June 6 2014.
- “Pair Accused of Running Brothel; Man Convicted Trafficking Homeless Teen for Sex,” Atlanta Examiner, June 7 2014.
- “Human Trafficking Suspect in Coweta Jail,” Newnan Times-Herald, November 21 2014.
- “Juvenile Located, Woman Rescued in Dunwoody Prostitution Sting,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, July 1 2015.
- “Police: Brookhaven Man Arrested on Human Trafficking Charge,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, July 6 2015.
- “Disappearance Of Georgia Sex Trafficking Victim Amiyah Roach Not Being Taken Seriously, Family Says,” Atlanta Daily World, July 22 2015.
- https://brookhavenpost.co/2015/05/11/brookhaven-police-arrest-two-during-undercover-prostitution-investigation/ (2015)
- https://www.ajc.com/news/arrested-undercover-prostitution-sting-brookhaven-spa (2015)
- https://patch.com/georgia/decatur/5-indicted-dekalb-prostitution-case (2018)
- https://www.ajc.com/news/crime–law/breaking-swat-situation-shuts-down-part-buford-highway-dekalb (2018)
Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “2 Arrests in Sex-for-Hire Murders,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, August 27 2002.
- “DeKalb County Pimp Sentenced to Life for Murder,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, October 14 2011.