|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Broadview is a village of less than 8,000 residents, located just west of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois. Although reports of prostitution activity in the community appear limited, there has been a documented case of sex trafficking of a minor in the village, and they have taken a proactive approach to target underlying demand for commercial sex.
In early February 2015, the Cook County Sheriff’s Office announced the completion of its ninth annual National Day of Johns Arrests, a multi-jurisdictional effort to identify and arrest sex buyers. In a press release, the CCSO reported the names and arrest totals for each of the law enforcement agencies who participated in the initiative. Among the agencies listed was the Broadview Police Department, who reportedly arrested 15 sex buyers between January 25, 2015 and February 1, 2015 with the support of CCSO officers. The logistical details of the operation– including the identities of the men arrested– were not disclosed to the public.
In the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl in 2016, the National Johns Suppression Initiative ran a nationwide operation that resulted in the arrest of 550 sex buyers across 24 states between January 17 and February 7. Cook County reported the arrest of 79 men during the operation in Broadview, Lansing, and Matteson. The two online stings conducted in Broadview as part of the operation resulted in the arrest of 25 men.
- Broadview Police Department
- Cook County Sheriff’s Office
- “570 Sex Buyers Arrested in National Super Bowl Sting Operation,” Press Release, Cook County Sheriff’s Office, February 2 2015.
- “Sheriff Advertises Prostitution Sting, But Johns Still Arrested,” CBS/WBBM-TV 2, February 3 2015.
Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- https://chronicleillinois.com/news/cook-county-news/online-human-sex-trafficking-challenge-cook-sheriffs-dept (2016)
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
Comments are closed.