Boynton Beach is a city of 60,000 in the Palm Beach area of Florida, near Delray Beach and West Palm Beach. Since at least the 1980s, the Boynton Beach Police Department has been conducting reverse stings at street level in areas known for prostitution. Female undercover police officers pose as prostituted persons and signal nearby police officers to make arrests once deals are made. The names, ages and other details about those arrested are often reported to the news with details of the operations. For example, in May 2018, a reverse sting on South Federal Highway near the Atrium Plaza led to seven arrests of sex buyers. The men ranged in age from 28 to 72, and were booked at the Palm Beach County Jail.The BBPD has also conduct web-based operations similar to those conducted in nearby towns.
In the early to mid-1990s, the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel reported that a Palm Beach County Circuit Judge had begun offering first-time offenders charged with solicitation in Boynton Beach and other communities within the county the option of completing a diversion program in lieu of jail time. The program, instituted in February 1990, was composed of a two-hour class (dubbed Risk Education for Sex Offenders), a HIV blood test, mandatory attendance at four court hearings for prostituted women, and “reading a psychological profile of a prostitute who was diagnosed with AIDS.” For additional information about county-level efforts to reduce demand, see Palm Beach County.
- Boynton Beach Police Department
- John School:
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Boynton Beach Police Decoys Hook Drivers Seeking Prostitutes,” Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, April 9 1988.
- “13 Arrested in Vice Sweep,” Miami Herald, September 3 1988.
- “100 Arrested in Prostitution Sweep,” Palm Beach Post, September 24 1989.
- “Wedding Gifts Swiped; Sting,” Boca Raton News, August 14 1994.
- “Veteran Boynton Beach Cop Disciplined,” Orlando Sentinel, December 12 2003.
- “Eight Men Arrested in Boynton Prostitution Sting,” Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, June 21 2010.
- https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/local/just-boynton-beach-prostitution-sting-nets-arrests/ (2018)
- https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20191118/boynton-prostitution-sting-nets-four-arrests (2019)
- “Boynton Mayor Also Wants to Publish Names of Johns,” Palm Beach Post, January 16 1993.
- “Boynton to Publicize Johns’ Names,” Boca Raton News, January 20 1993.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area: