Meridian is a suburb of Boise, Idaho. It has a population of about 75,000 and is located in the southwest portion of the state. Reverse stings have occurred in the city as a method of combating local problems with prostitution and sex trafficking. In 2011, detectives conducted a sting using a website and arrested 12 johns and prostituted women. Police said “there’s an obvious demand in the Treasure Valley,” and they had difficulty setting up appointments with prostituted women because the women were so busy servicing real sex buyers. Among the documented types of victimization faced by the providers of commercial sex is being locked in people’s houses, and not being allowed to leave unless they do what the “customers” want. People who sell or buy sex are charged with misdemeanors in Idaho, until their third prostitution arrest, when it becomes a felony.
In November 2020, a reverse sting was was carried out on the 1800 block of South Silverstone Way, with assistance from the Department of Homeland Security and Idaho State Police Fusion Center. Three men were arrested on misdemeanor charges of patronizing a prostitute, and their identities were disclosed in news releases.
- Meridian Police Department
- Department of Homeland Security
- Idaho State Police Fusion Center
- Reverse Stings, Shaming:
- Web Stings:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Online Ad for Teen Sex Is First for Valley; 3 Adults Are Accused of Offering a 15-Year-Old Girl as a Prostitute on Craigslist”, Idaho Statesman, June 27 2008.
- “Three Face Charges of Prostitution Using Teen”, Idaho Press-Tribune, June 27 2008.
- “Official: 2 Sex Cases Involve Same Victim; The Prosecutor in Charge Says the Unrelated Crimes Both Represent ‘Horrible Exploitation’ of Teenage Girls”, Idaho Statesman, July 24 2008.
- “Boise Woman Pleads Guilty in Underage Sex Case”, Idaho Press-Tribune, November 2 2008.
- “Trio Indicted for Committing Sex Acts with Teenage Girls”, NBC/KTVB-TV 7, August 15 2009.
- “Woman Pleads Guilty in Craigslist Prostitution”, NBC/KTVB-TV 7, August 15 2009.
- “Sheriff: 39-Year-Old Boise Man Arrested After Posting Craigslist Ad Offering Toddler for Sex”, Idaho Statesman, June 1 2012.
- “Boise Police Arrest Oakland Man on Marijuana, Prostitution Trafficking Charges”, Idaho Statesman, April 3 2013.
- “Absence of Choice; Untangling Captives from the Web of Human Trafficking”, Boise Weekly, April 2 2014.
- “Online Sexual Predators Found Throughout Idaho, Not Just in Big Cities”, Idaho Statesman, June 21 2014.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Idaho History”, Idaho Statesman, May 11 2004.
- “The Girls of Boise”, Boise Weekly, October 13 2004.
- “Boise Police Bust Massage Parlors”, Idaho Statesman, March 8 2006.
- “Police Look at Prostitution on the Internet”, Idaho Statesman, October 17 2007.
- “Boise Prostitution Sting Hits Massage Parlors”, Idaho Statesman, January 22 2010.
- “Prostitution in Meridian? You Might Be Surprised What You Learn on KIVI Tonight”, Idaho Statesman, May 9 2011.
- “Boise Sting Could Lead to Closure of Massage Parlors”, Idaho Statesman, August 9 2012.