Blue Lake, CA
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Blue Lake is a small incorporated city of approximately 1,200 residents in Northern California, near Eureka. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of the county. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. The first known reverse sting conducted in the city occurred in April 2012, in response to complaints from a hotel to the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office about suspected prostitution. A web-based reverse sting was conducted and two male sex buyers were arrested at the hotel. The names and ages of the arrestees were released to media outlets.
- Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office
- Humboldt County Community Response Unit
- Humboldt County Drug Task Force
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Internet Sting Nets Alleged Prostitutes, Johns”, Eureka Times-Standard, April 17 2012.
- “Veterinarian Is Arrested during Sting Operation”, Del Norte Triplicate, April 21 2012.
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- https://www.northcoastjournal.com/humboldt/prostitutioncom (2008)
- http://www.arcataeye.com/prostitution-sting-at-blue-lake-casino-april-16-2012/ (2012)
- http://www.times-standard.com/backpage-arrests-change-little-in-humboldt-county (2016)
- http://www.madriverunion.com/prostitution-sting-in-old-town-eureka/ (2017)
- https://lostcoastoutpost.com/eureka-police-prostitution-sting-nets-three/ (2017)
- https://kymkemp.com/64-year-old-man-convicted-of-rape-forcible-sexual-penetration-acquiring-person-for-prostitution/ (2021)
Comments are closed.