Blue Ash is an inner suburb of Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio. It is situated just north of that city, and has a population of around 12,500. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of Hamilton County. For example, in December 2016, two men were indicted for operating a prostitution business involving several women out of a hotel in Blue Ash. One defendant was charged with four counts of trafficking in persons, four counts of compelling prostitution, four counts of promoting prostitution, one count of trafficking cocaine, one count of aggravated trafficking in drugs, and one count of tampering with evidence. The other defendant was accused of “maintaining” several women who would perform sexual acts in exchange for money, with all of the money paid for the sex acts turned over to the man who would pay the women with crack and heroin; he was charged with four counts of trafficking in persons, four counts of compelling prostitution and four counts of promoting prostitution. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. The Blue Ash Police Department has conducted street-level, web-based, and other media-based reverse stings since 2001 and uses shaming of sex buyers to deter prostitution. Reverse stings are conducted two or three times per year.
- Blue Ash Police Department
National Assessment Survey
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “‘Bachelor Party’ Ends in 4 Arrests”, Cincinnati Post, January 12 1995.
- “Police Arrest Six in Escort Sting”, Cincinnati Post, March 27 1995.
- “Blue Ash Police Sting Busts 2 Escort Services”, Cincinnati Post, March 28 1995.
- https://www.newspapers.com/clip/13689477/the_cincinnati_enquirer/ (2013)
- “Fox 19 Investigates: Hometown Hookers”, FOX/WXIX-TV 19, November 25 2013.
- https://www.cincinnati.com/two-men-face-27-felonies-blue-ash-prostitution-case (2016)
- http://www.fox19.com/story/men-facing-multiple-charges-in-blue-ash-prostitution-case/ (2016)
- https://www.wlwt.com/article/4-people-indicted-in-human-trafficking-case-at-blue-ash-hotel (2016)
- https://www.wcpo.com/blue-ash/two-people-arrested-in-connection-with-multi-state-theft-ring (2017)
- https://local12.com/news/local/prostitution-bust-at-blue-ash-massage-parlor-cincinnati-hamilton-county (2019)
- https://www.wlwt.com/article/was-human-trafficking-at-core-of-blue-ash-massage-parlor-raid ? (2019)