Blount County is located in eastern Tennessee, and contains the cities of Alcoa and Maryville. Prostitution is a well documented problem locally and generates complaints to police from residents and businesses. On at least one occasion, attempted sex buyers have been arrested during local sting investigations.
In December 2014, media reported that the Alcoa Police Department had partnered with the Blount County Sheriff’s Office to conduct a john sting that resulted in the arrest of four men. Although the logistical details of the operation were not disclosed, a BCSO representative stated in a press release that “the arrests were the result of a joint undercover investigation with the Alcoa Police Department to address recent complaints from the community regarding illegal activity at some local establishments.” All of the arrestees’ identities were publicized by local media outlets.
In October, 2016 a joint operation between law enforcement agencies in Blount County, the Fifth Judicial Drug Task Force, and TBI resulted in several arrests and several citations for prostitution. The Blount County Sheriff’s Office, Maryville Police Department and Alcoa Police Department joined with the two other agencies in an operation in which six people were charged or cited with prostitution. The daylong investigation was held at a local hotel. One man from Lenoir City was charged with patronizing prostitution, and held in the Blount County Jail on $750 bond. His identity was disclosed in news releases.
In July, 2019, a web-based revers sting was conducted in Alcoa and surrounding areas in East Tennessee, resulting in the arrest of four men. Authorities placed decoy advertisements on websites known to be used for prostitution and commercial sex. Their goal was to identify people seeking to buy sex with females under age 18, as well as individuals engaged in trafficking others for commercial sex acts. The TBI, Alcoa Police Department, Blount County Sheriff’s Office, Maryville Police Department, and 5th Judicial Drug Task Force were all involved in the operation.
- Blount County Sheriff’s Office
- Maryville Police Department
- Alcoa Police Department
- Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
- 5th Judicial Drug Task Force
Reverse Sting, Shaming:
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Six Men, One Juvenile,” Maryville Daily Times, June 24 2006.
- “Five Nabbed in Sting Appear in Court – Men Accused of Patronizing Prostitution,” Maryville Daily Times, July 21 2006.
- “Judge Rules in Alcoa Prostitution Cases,” Maryville Daily Times, February 1 2007.
- “4 Men Arrested in Prostitution Bust by Blount County and Alcoa Officials,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, December 5 2014.
- “Four Men Charged after Undercover Prostitution Sting in Blount Co.,” CBS/WVLT-TV 8, December 5 2014.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Four Arrests,” Maryville Daily Times, December 6 2014.
- “Blount Sting Nabs 5 for Prostitution, Marijuana Use,” Knoxville News, October 28 2016.
- “Several Arrested, Cited in Blount County Prostitution Bust,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, October 28 2016.
- “Blount, State Authorities Arrest Five in Prostitution Sting,” Maryville Daily Times, October 29 2016.
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Shaming:
- https://newschannel9.com/tbi-four-men-arrested-sex-trafficking-investigation-in-east-tennessee (2019)
- https://www.wrcbtv.com/tbi-human-trafficking-operation-nets-four-arrests-east-tennessee (2019)
- https://wcyb.com/four-men-arrested-in-human-trafficking-operation (2019)
- https://www.knoxnews.com/human-trafficking-investigation-east-tennessee-tbi-arrests-blount-county (2019)
- https://www.wbir.com/four-arrested-in-east-tennessee-following-human-trafficking-sting (2019)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Four Women Facing Charges after Officers Raid Alcoa Highway Spas,” Knoxville News-Sentinel, June 20 1992.
- “Three Spa Workers Admit to Prostitution,” Knoxville News-Sentinel, July 2 1992.
- “VIP Spa Worker Charged with Prostitution,” Maryville Daily Times, December 16 1997.
- “Get out of Town, Judge Tells Prostitute after Plea,” Maryville Daily Times, December 18 1997.
- “Spas Shut down to Stop Alleged Prostitution Ring,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, July 24 2002.
- “Arrests Continue in Investigation; Warrants Issued Nationwide,” Maryville Daily Times, July 25 2002.
- “Alcoa Spa Shuts down Second Time,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, October 23 2002.
- “Parlor Owner Pleads Guilty,” Wilmington Star-News, June 5 2003.
- “Woman Arrested in Alcoa Massage Parlor Raid Pleads Guilty,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, June 5 2003.
- “Woman Gets Probation in Multi-State Prostitution Ring,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, October 1 2003.
- “Man in Custody, Charged with Prostitution,” Maryville Daily Times, January 16 2008.
- “3 Males Face Prostitution Charges,” Maryville Daily Times, January 18 2008.
- “St. Hill Pleads Guilty to Soliciting Prostitution,” Maryville Daily Times, January 26 2008.
- “Local Officers Nab Women in Craigslist Prostitution Sting,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, July 18 2009.
- “Police Nab Four Women in Craigslist Prostitution Sting at Alcoa Motel,” Maryville Daily Times, July 18 2009.
- “Sting Unveils Craigslist Underside,” Maryville Daily Times, July 20 2009.
- “911 Hang-Up Call Leads to Prostitution Arrest on Alcoa Highway,” Maryville Daily Times, July 27 2011.
- “Nuisance Motels Shut down in Alcoa,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, March 16 2013.
- “Alcoa Motel Closed for Nuisance Charges Reopens,” ABC/WATE-TV 6, March 28 2013.
- https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2017/01/14/eleven-charged-blount-prostitution-sting/96593158/ (2017)
- https://www.thedailytimes.com/news/ten-arrested-or-cited-in-prostitution-sting-at-alcoa-hotel/article_1c0be701-052d-5ee7-a58b-e23b1142c0c4.html (April 2018)