Beckley, West Virginia is a small city of less than 20,000 residents. Community complaints about prostitution led police to conduct prostitution operations. Reasoning that reducing demand would cause the market to contract and reduce the need for a supply to be present, the Beckley Police Department began conducting reverse stings in 2006. Since then, they have conducted between one and two reverse stings per year. Police release to the media the names and ages of men arrested. A BPD representative stated they filmed one reverse sting in 2006, but have not afterward, seeing them as not necessary to make arrests. The BPD has also attempted public education, using the news media to try to talk to men about the health risks taken by engaging in buying sex.
- Beckley Police Department
- National Assessment Survey
- Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Stung”, Beckley Register-Herald, July 20 2007.
- “Six Prostitutes and Six Johns Get Picked Up”, CBS/WVNS-TV 59, August 8 2012.
- “Prostitution Sting Nabs One Dozen”, Beckley Register-Herald, August 9 2012.
- “Prostitution Sting Nabs One Dozen in Beckley”, Bluefield Daily Telegraph, August 9 2012.
- “Prostitution Sting: Beckley PD Charge 10 with ‘Solicitation'”, Beckley Register-Herald, August 4 2014.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets More than a Dozen Suspected Hookers and Johns”, CBS/WVNS-TV 59, August 4 2014.
- “Sixteen Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, NBC/WVVA-TV 6, August 4 2014.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Man Pleads Guilty to Sex Charges”, Charleston Daily Mail, May 5 1999.
- “Man Pleads Guilty to Sexual Misconduct with Children”, Charleston Gazette, May 5 1999.
- “Raleigh Judge Finds Probable Cause in Alleged Child Sex Solicitation Case”, Beckley Register-Herald, July 17 2014.
- “Solicitation of a Minor: Case Heading to Grand Jury”, Bluefield Daily Telegraph, July 17 2014.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Woman Faces Felony Solicitation Charge”, Beckley Register-Herald, February 9 2008.
- “Police: Internet Ad Leads to Arrest in Prostitution Sting”, Beckley Register-Herald, August 26 2008.
- “Woman Busted after Allegedly Posting Online Sex Ad”, Fairmont West Virginia Times, August 27 2008.
- “Woman Arrested after Online Sex Ad, Police Say”, Charleston Gazette, August 28 2008.
- “Two Arrested on Prostitution Charges”, Beckley Register-Herald, August 16 2013.