Beachwood is a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio, near Shaker Heights, and has about 12,000 residents. Cases of prostitution and the attempted procurement of minors for commercial sex have been reported in the city.
The Beachwood Police Department has conducted reverse stings to combat consumer-level demand for prostitution. In one operation, conducted in January 2013, thirteen men were arrested for attempting to buy sex at a local hotel. Although the details of the operation (including the identities of those arrested) were not disclosed to the public, media outlets reported that the sting spanned a single evening and employed the assistance of the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Office.
In April 2013, BPD, CCSO and Orange Village Police Department officers conducted a second operation, this time netting 15 johns. The three-day sting involved a “female officer posing as a ‘escort’ [and] receiving numerous calls from men seeking sex for hire.” The undercover officer then arranged to meet the men at a nearby hotel. The men were arrested as they arrived to meet the decoy. Although the arrestees’ names were not released to the public, one of the johns’ identities was publicized in the press when it was discovered that he was a player for the Cleveland Browns.
- Beachwood Police Department
- Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Office
- Orange Village Police Department
- Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- “Thirteen Men Arrested for Soliciting Prostitution at Beachwood Hotel; Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Office Assists with Arrests”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, February 7 2013.
- “Browns Linebacker Quentin Groves Busted in Prostitution Sting”, Cleveland Leader, April 24 2013.
- “Browns Player Apologizes for Prostitution Bust”, FOX/WJW-TV 8, April 24 2013.
- “Cleveland Browns’ Quentin Groves Arrested in Prostitution Sting; Pleads Guilty to Disorderly Conduct”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, April 24 2013.
- “Police Conduct Prostitution Sting: Orange Village News Blotter”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, April 24 2013.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Law & Order; Cleveland; Lawyer Faces Sex Charge”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, July 16 2004.
- “Law & Order; Cleveland; Lawyer Guilty in Kid-Sex Sting”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, October 6 2005.
- “Lawyer Caught in Child Sex Sting Getting Probation”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, November 10 2005.
- “Law & Order; Cleveland; Lawyer Back in Jail”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, November 3 2006.