Bay Shore is a hamlet located within the town of Islip on the south shore of Long Island, New York. It has approximately 23,000 residents. Driven by community complaints, the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department has conducted several street-level reverse stings using an undercover female officer as a decoy. To deter “johns” from reoffending, police release the names and photos of arrestees to local media outlets.
- Suffolk County Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prostitution Charges”, Newsday, January 19 1990.
- “Tackling Crime in Bay Shore; Officials Send Task Force against Drugs, Prostitution in Hamlet”, Newsday, December 14 1990.
- “Police Raid Alleged Brothel”, Newsday, August 21 2000.