Bay City is a small city of approximately 17,397 residents, located near Houston in southeastern Texas’ Matagorda County. In conjunction with the Matagorda County and Brazoria County Sheriffs’ Departments, the Bay City Police Department has conducted at least 3 street-level reverse sting operations since 1997. In an effort to deter johns from reoffending, police officers have at times released the names and ages of arrestees to local media outlets. Complaints from the community play a role in police conducting prostitution operations.
- Bay City Police Department
- Matagorda County Sheriff’s Office
- Brazoria County Sheriff’s Department
- Wharton Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Attempted Arrest Leaves Two Officers Injured in Bay City”, Victoria Advocate, November 26 1997.
- “Two Men Arrested for Solicitation in Sting”, Bay City Tribune, April 15 2007.
- “Crime Round-up 10/23/08; Prostitution Sting Lands 15 in Jail”, Victoria Advocate, October 24 2008.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the City:
- “Police Nab 4 in Prostitution Sting”, Bay City Tribune, July 1 2001.
- “Police Arrest 3 in Prostitution Sting”, Victoria Advocate, July 22 2004.
- “Sting Nets Six in Bay City”, Victoria Advocate, August 30 2005.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 5”, Bay City Tribune, September 4 2007.
- “Five Women Arrested for Prostitution”, Victoria Advocate, September 6 2007.