Alexandria is a city of approximately 48,000 residents, located midway between Baton Rouge and Shreveport in central Louisiana. To curtail commercial sex sales in the area, the Alexandria Police Department (APD) conducted a handful of successful street-level reverse stings between 2007 and 2009. One such operation, dubbed “John-John Sweep”, resulted in the arrest of 31 sex buyers in April 2009. Some of the men had their names publicized by local media outlets.
In June 2014, the APD, Central Louisiana Safe Streets Task Force and FBI collaborated to conduct a reverse sting. Officers arrested 17 sex buyers during the operation, and disclosed each of the men’s names, ages, hometowns, and mugshots to the public. In a news release, the APD reported that the investigation was undertaken in an effort to reduce human trafficking and child sex abuse in the area, but added that none of the individuals intercepted had been charged with trafficking-related offenses. Officers would not disclose the location of the sting, to protect the integrity of future operations.
In September 2015, Louisiana State Police reported the arrest of a sex buyer in Alexandria following a web-based anti-prostitution investigation. The man had reportedly posted online advertisements soliciting sex. Over the course of the investigation, the man allegedly “began asking for sex with an adult and a juvenile. He also conveyed his interest in performing several heinous sexual acts with the juvenile.” He was arrested and charged with “contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, solicitation of prostitution, prostitution involving juveniles and crimes against nature by solicitation.” Although the logistics of the sting were not disclosed, the offender’s identity was publicized in press.
In 2019, two people were arrested at Queen Spa Aromatherapy in Alexandria after a prostitution investigation by the Alexandria Police Department Narcotics Division.
- Alexandria Police Department
- Central Louisiana Safe Streets Task Force
- Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Prostitution Sting Spurs APD Officer’s Resignation”, Alexandria Town Talk, May 14 2002.
- “Decision for Officer to Resign Draws Fire”, Alexandria Town Talk, May 15 2002.
- “Officer, Pastor Caught in Prostitution Sting”, Baton Rouge Advocate, May 15 2002.
- “Cop-Prostitute Case”, Alexandria Town Talk, May 17 2002.
- “Prostitute Sting Nets 5 Arrests”, Alexandria Town Talk, December 10 2003.
- “Nearly 40 Arrested in Prostitution Sting by APD”, Alexandria Town Talk, June 8 2007.
- “Sting Nets 10 Alleged Prostitutes, 29 Alleged Customers”, KATC-TV 3, June 20 2007.
- “10 Plead Guilty, 2 Found Guilty in Prostitution Sting Operation”, Alexandria Town Talk, August 8 2007.
- “Sting Nets 31 Arrests, Including Minister”, Alexandria Town Talk, April 18 2009.
- “27 Suspects Arrested in Alexandria Prostitution Sting”, Alexandria Town Talk, September 28 2009.
- “Citing Inquiry, Alexandria Officials Won’t Release Records of ‘Completed’ Prostitution Sting”, Alexandria Town Talk, November 25 2010.
- http://klax-tv.com/local-prostitution-sting-results-in-13-arrests (2014)
- “Alexandria Sting Results in 17 Arrests on Soliciting for Prostitution Charges”, Alexandria Town Talk, June 10 2014.
- “Alexandria Sting Results in 17 Arrests on Soliciting for Prostitution Charges”, Greenfield Reporter, June 10 2014.
- Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Man Accused of Offering Juvenile Money for Sex”, Alexandria Town Talk, January 30 2010.
- “2 Alexandria Men Charged on Juvenile-Sex Crimes”, Alexandria Town Talk, September 29 2011.
- “4 Pineville Men, 2 Alexandria Teens Face Sex Charge Involving Teenage Girls”, Alexandria Town Talk, December 8 2012.
- “Alexandria Police Arrest 6 in Child Sex Trafficking Case”, Alexandria Town Talk, July 31 2013.
- “Sex Offender Indicted on Charges of Child Trafficking and Pandering by Prostitution,” NBC/KPLC-TV 7, August 27 2015.
- “Alexandria Man Facing 5 Human Trafficking, Other Charges,” Alexandria Town Talk, September 10 2015.
- https://www.wafb.com/2019/06/18/two-arrests-made-prostitution-investigation-alexandria-massage-parlor/ (2019)
- https://www.kalb.com/content/news/Alexandria-women-arrested-in-Grant-Parish-for-soliciting-for-prostitution (2020)
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prostitutes Arrested in Stakeout“, Alexandria Town Talk, November 20 1999.
- “Police Sting Nets 3 Prostitutes”, Alexandria Town Talk, May 12 2000.
- “Prostitution Arrests”, Alexandria Town Talk, January 29 2004.
- “6 Local Women Booked on Prostitution Charges”, Alexandria Town Talk, March 12 2004.
- “4 Women Facing Prostitution Counts”, Alexandria Town Talk, May 5 2005.
- “Police Surveillance Cameras Now Going Up in Alexandria”, Alexandria Town Talk, July 28 2005.
- “Prostitution Sting Results in 9 Arrests”, Alexandria Town Talk, August 9 2005.
- “Drug, Prostitution Raid Leads to Arrest of 12 at Residence”, Alexandria Town Talk, February 21 2006.
- “18 Arrested in Prostitution Sting in Alexandria”, CBS/WAFB-TV 9, June 9 2006.
- “Alexandria Police Say Operations to Continue in Effort to Cut Crime”, Alexandria Town Talk, April 18 2009.
- “5 Women Charged with Prostitution in Alexandria”, Alexandria Town Talk, May 10 2012.