|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Albertville is a city of approximately 22,000 residents, located in Alabama’s Marshall County northwest of Gadsden and southeast of Huntsville. Cases of prostitution and suspected sex trafficking have been reported in the community for more than a decade, with activities frequently occurring in indoor brothels.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. On at least one occasion, demand reduction tactics have been employed in the city. Local law enforcement personnel launched an investigation leading to the arrest of an individual attempting to purchase commercial sex. In mid-2015, media outlets reported the arrest of an Albertville physician following a five-day joint investigation by the Albertville Police Department, Marshall County Sheriff’s Office, Marshall County District Attorney’s Office, and Alabama Board of Medical Examiners. Though the details of the investigation were not disclosed (e.g., whether or not law enforcement used a decoy to communicate with the sex buyer), the Sand Mountain Reporter indicated that the individual had been arrested at an Albertville motel, and had been charged with attempting to procure sex “in exchange for money or medication.” Following his arrest, the male sex buyer’s name and arrest photo were publicized in press. In December 2015, the same source reported that the offender had pled guilty to a charge of solicitation of prostitution. Another news outlet indicated that he faced up to 12 months in prison and 24 months of probation, and “the conditions of [his] probation include[d] no contact with the victim or victim’s family in any form and [the]surrender of his medical license.” They added that law enforcement had initiated the investigation after being contacted by the victim, who indicated that the clinician had solicited her for sex acts in exchange for money and/or medication. Upon notice of his guilty plea, the offender’s name and arrest photo was again publicized in press.
- Albertville Police Department
- Marshall County Sheriff’s Office
- Marshall County District Attorney’s Office
- Alabama Board of Medical Examiners
Sex Buyer Arrests, Identity Disclosure:
- “Doctor Accused of Offering Sex in Trade for Drugs and Money in Albertville,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, August 12 2015.
- “Police: Albertville Doctor Charged with Soliciting Prostitution,” CBS/WHNT-TV 19, August 12 2015.
- “Albertville Doctor Accused of Soliciting Patient for Prostitution,” Tuscaloosa News, August 13 2015.
- “Doctor Enters Guilty Plea; Man Sentenced to Probation and Jail Time for Solicitation of Sex,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, December 4 2015.
- “Marshall County Physician Charged with Soliciting Prostitution Pleads Guilty,” CBS/WHNT-TV 19, December 9 2015.
Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “Police: Trio Forced Underaged Girls into Prostitution,” Huntsville Times, March 1 2007.
- “Albertville Sex Trade Operation Raided,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, November 3 2015.
- “3 Indicted for Roles in Human Trafficking,” Montgomery Advertiser, December 2 2015.
- “Huge Gaps in Sex Trafficking Laws,” Troy Messenger, December 4 2015.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police Put Stop to Local Prostitution,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, March 1 2007.
- “Police Make 2nd Brothel Raid of ’07,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, May 31 2007.
- “2 Accused of Helping Run Prostitution Ring,” Huntsville Times, July 10 2007.
- “Feds Detail Busy City Sex Business,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, July 14 2007.
- “Feds Indict 3 Men,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, August 2 2007.
- “Probe Leads to Sex Arrests,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, October 25 2007.
- “Third Brothel Bust in Two Years,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, December 11 2008.
- “Police Say They Disrupt a Brothel,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, March 19 2009.
- “Feds Hold 2 Men after Brothel Bust,” Albertville Sand Mountain Reporter, March 21 2009.
- https://www.waff.com/albertville-residents-helping-police-shut-down-brothels/ (2009)
- “Alleged Sex Trade Operation in Albertville Raided,” Gadsden Times, November 2 2015.