Salt Lake County is located in northern Utah. Its population of approximately 1,070,000 includes Salt Lake City and many suburbs and unincorporated areas in the metropolitan region the city state capitol.
Sheriff’s deputies have been conducting periodic reverse stings in the county. For example, in May 2018 a four day prostitution sting operation in the Salt Lake City area resulted in the arrest of “dozens” of men who tried to buy sex from undercover female officers who walked the streets. During the operation, which took place throughout the Salt Lake Valley, officers searched hotel rooms and the streets for those involved with prostitution. After some of the reverse stings, police have released the identities of the men arrested. Some of the men arrested are routed to the Salt Lake City john school program.
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office
- Umoja Training
- Reverse Stings:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prostitution Moves Out,” Deseret News, November 17 1971.
- “County Considers Massage Parlor Ordinance,” Deseret News, May 22 1973.
- “Laws vs. Massage Parlor Sex,” Deseret News, May 23 1973.
- “New Massage Law Pays Off,” Deseret News, December 19 1973.
- “Comment: Why a State Law Is Needed on Massage Parlor Sex,” Deseret News, March 22 1974.
- “Organized Crime Seeps into Utah,” Deseret News, November 16 1978.
- “Massage Parlors Fail to Block Law,” Deseret News, November 20 1978.
- “Control Prostitution Here, It Pops up There,” Deseret News, February 3 1982.
- “Hookers Are Difficult to Dislodge,” Deseret News, February 3 1982.
- “Escort Ordinance Aimed at Hindering Prostitution,” Deseret News, December 22 1983.
- “S.L. County Charges 20 with Racketeering and Exploiting Prostitution,” Deseret News, April 9 1985.
- “Prostitution Going Bust as Hookers Land in Jail; Vice Squad: Thanks to Increased Jail Space, Officers Can Now Arrest Women Instead of Just Issuing Citations,” Deseret News, September 20 1990.
- “Prostitutes May Face Time in Jail Tower; S.L. County to Divide 10th Floor of Hall of Justice into Cells,” Deseret News, November 1 1995.
- “7 Massage Parlors Shut Down, 2 Arrested in Prostitution Sting,” Deseret News, June 10 2015.