Le Flore County is located in eastern Oklahoma, along the Arkansas border, and has a population of about 50,000. It also has well-documented problems with prostitution and sex trafficking. Although activity in the county appear relatively limited, law enforcement agencies have in recent years reported an increase in commercial sex activity in and around the Choctaw Casino in Pocola, a major tourist destination located within the county. To address the issue, a coordinated effort was undertaken in September, 2014, that included participation by the Le Flore County Sheriff’s Office, Le Flore County District Attorney’s Investigators, as well as the Choctaw Nation Tribal Police, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, Department of Homeland Security, and Sebastian County Sheriff’s Office. During the operation, law enforcement agents placed and responded to online listings offering prostitution at the casino’s hotel. Officers also arrested several prostituted women for soliciting on the casino floor. Four johns and six prostituted women were arrested as a result. Their names were publicized by some media outlets; one displayed the mugshots of the arrestees (without their names) during an evening broadcast, and others listed only the names and ages without photos.
- Le Flore County Sheriff’s Office
- Le Flore County District Attorney’s Investigators
- Choctaw Nation Tribal Police
- Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs
- Department of Homeland Security
- Sebastian County Sheriff’s Office
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Shaming, Community Service:
- “10 Arrested in Prostitution Ring Bust at Choctaw Casino,” ABC/KNWA-TV 50, September 25 2014.
- “10 Arrested in Prostitution Sting at Pocola Casino,” CBS/KFSM-TV 5, September 25 2014.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 10 Arrests at Choctaw Casino in Pocola,” Fort Smith Southwest Times Record, September 25 2014.
- “Ten Arrested in Prostitution Sting at Choctaw Nation Casino in Le Flore County,” CBS/KOTV-DT 6, September 25 2014.